We’re now recruiting an intern to work at Spruce this spring. If joining the Sprucettes for a few months is something you’d like to do, apply! Read the information below and feel free to forward it to anyone who fits our qualifications.
Spruce Upholstery’s Spring Internship
Location: 6611 N. Lamar Blvd, Austin, Texas, 78752
Description: Spruce Upholstery is a retail furniture and fabric shop that has offered quality custom upholstery services and upholstery classes in Austin for the past six years. We are an energetic and talented team of people passionate about design – and we pride ourselves on our craftsmanship, customer service and forward thinking.
This part time, unpaid internship would be perfect for a motivated student who wants to work in a retail environment centered on upholstery and interior design. He/she will get the opportunity to work with clients and will learn the ins and outs of a small business – from organizing our large selection of designer fabrics to helping with social media marketing. This internship would provide software training for our marketing applications and mentorship from the Sprucettes. We encourage our interns to take ownership of one special project of their choice during the internship duration.
Although we’re a small team, we’re internationally known for our expertise. Spruce’s founder, Amanda Brown, is a blogger for Design*Sponge and her tutorials have been featured on HGTV and Creativebug. Her book, Spruce: A Step-by-Step Guide to Upholstery and Design (Storey Publishing, Fall 2013) was an editor’s pick for one of Amazon’s Best Books of 2013 for Home Decorating and Design.
Responsibilities: Including and not limited to
- Working in the shop 10-12 hours a week for three months, including the occasional Saturday
- Pricing merchandise
- Helping customers find fabric on the sales floor
- Basic customer service, including follow-up calls and emails for estimates
- Photographing furniture
- Managing our fabric sample library, which includes processing, organizing and culling samples, and taking swatches out for our customers
- Taking on special graphic design projects, ranging from making digital flyers to editing photos
- Posting links on Spruce’s Pinterest page
- Gathering information and research for Spruce’s website
- Running occasional errands
- Basic data entry and website edits using WordPress
- General organizing and cleaning of the retail space
- Passion for design and entrepreneurship
- Team player with a strong work ethic
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Desire to learn new tasks and follow through with assignments
- Photography background and Photoshop experience a plus
- An interest in design and textiles
How To Apply: Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 25. Include a link to your portfolio, or attach photos of any relevant design work.