“Erika and Clint Share Two Things for Two Years with Spruce”
TWO THINGS LEARNED
- E: Being a designer, I thought I knew fabrics… there are way more fabric types, styles, designers out there that I had never dreamed about! Just when I think I’ve seen it all, someone creates a beautiful fabric that is completely unique.
- C: Its really difficult to highlight “one” thing learned. What I am most proud of is how my knowledge of upholstery has gone from pretty much zero, to having confidence in discussing all aspects of the craft with customers. Thankfully I’m surrounded by others with the talent to actually do what I can talk about!
TWO THINGS UNEXPECTED
- E: I knew Austin’s aesthetic would be unique – but there are really no rules!
- C: I never thought that I would be so passionate about fabric.
TWO FAVORITE MEMORIES
- E: Designing a sofa from scratch for one of my favorite design clients. They gave me full freedom – and the pressure was amazing and the outcome so fulfilling!
- C: Winning gold in a Jiu Jitsu competition and then immediately jumping in a truck and driving with Erika across the country to Pacific Grove, California to deliver and install so many amazing Spruce goodies.
TWO FACTS ABOUT ERIKA AND CLINT
- E: Clint and I live on a converted 1977 California Crown school bus…don’t believe me? Take a tour
- C: I was underwear model for MeUndies.
TWO THINGS YOU’RE THANKFUL FOR
- E: I feel like Spruce was made for us – Spruce found us at the right time for both of us both professionally and personally. It’s hard to believe it’s already been two years- we still have so much to learn – but at the same time, I don’t feel like there’s anywhere else we should be!
- C: Our team, it sounds cliche, but without the team at Spruce we would be lost.
- E: Managing more. But connecting with everyone has been really important to me!
- C: For me, as a former professional skydiver, getting thrown in at the deep-end and having to learn as much about upholstery as possible in a short period of time.
TWO FAVORITE PROJECTS
- E: We’ve had too many to choose just two. I love hearing pieces with a story, something that someone either found in an unusual way or something that has been in their family for years. Generational pieces are really special – we can tell they’re made differently – made to last.
- C: Anything custom, I love getting to see the full lifecycle of a project from a customers vision, through the planning, frame-making, upholstery and delivery.
TWO THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO
- E: I have some really incredible design projects coming up in 2024 – an FBO from the ground up, a couple of custom homes, and of course some fun renovations. They’re all so different which I really appreciate, I love the challenges of different styles.
- C: There’s already a lot of custom furniture in the pipeline for 2024!
TWO FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT WORKING WITH EACH OTHER
- E: Clint and I have come to understand each other so much more, I think we’ve really learned how to balance each other out. Clint responds very quickly, I tend to overthink things – so having one person on each side of that spectrum has helped us make the best decisions for Spruce.
- C: Working with E is quite honestly my favorite thing. For years I’ve got to see the “finished” product, without really understanding everything that goes into delivering such beautiful homes. Now I see it every day and I’m still in awe.
TWO FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT OWNING SPRUCE
- E: The energy can be so so good! I love it when I can hear loud laughter coming from the workshop. I also love stumbling upon some amazing collaboration happening – whether it’s Clint or Naomi helping someone with fabric options, Isabel working on a custom drapery order, or Frank and Waldina teaching someone in the workshop.
- C: Helping people transform or refresh pieces of furniture that have a story to them, heirloom pieces or those that hold special memories.
To learn more about the team, click here to see our About page